Saturday, September 3, 2011

Author Interview: Richard Denney!

I was very lucky to get to ask Richard Denney eleven questions about his books and writing, but mainly about his new middle grade novel coming out Winter 2011, The Immortalists. Richard Denney is the author of A Girl's Guide to Falling in Love With a Zombie, Hillserpent Academy, Violet Fury, and Secrets. Other upcoming novels by him include A Girl's Guide to Breaking Up with a Zombie and Hollow, his new dystopian novel. Here are the questions and his answers!
1) How long did it take you to write The Immortalists? 

A: It took me about a month and a half to complete and three weeks to revise for the editor. 
I am still currently revising a couple of chapters, but all in all everything is set & ready to go. 
It is probably one of the most fun books I have ever written, it never made me want to pull my hair 
out or curse out of a window. I loved writing it. 

2) Who was your favorite character to write about? 

A: Rowan Burton, the main protagonist. He's our narrator, since the book is told in first person. 
His journey is full of adventure & fantasy and he is one of my favorite characters of all my books. 
I love how he puts people before him and will protect his family & friends no matter what. 


3) How did you come up with inspiration behind The Immortalists? 

A: I was in a writing flop, which means I simply couldn't write for about two weeks, it's like writer's block except you don't go insane. 
Well one day I sat down at my laptop and opened a blank document and stared into the screen. Nothing came. About three hours later, I was reading 
an article about immortality and BOOM! the idea hit me like a thunder storm. I did quick research and later that night, I poured three chapters out of me. 
I was in shock at the amount I had written and in awe at the idea I came up with. I can't say much about the story line because it will spoil the book, but once you read you'll 
hopefully enjoy the story. I believe that it is unique & original. I will give a hint: This book includes, Zombies, Wizards, Pixies, Hobgoblins and Ghosts. Hope that quenches your thirst a bit, until the book is released this winter 2011. 


4) How did it feel publishing your book, A Girl’s Guide to Falling in Love with a Zombie, for the first time?

A: To be honest, I was frightened. I was scared it was going to flop and leave me scarred. It turned out the book did really well for my first book and
grew me fans that I cherish to this day. I say that if your scared to publish whether it's self-publishing or big publishing, don't be scared to lose, because there are people out there who are willing to read the wonderful story you have created. NEVER GIVE UP.

5) Are you working on any upcoming projects you are willing to share?

A: I am currently revising "Hollow" my first dystopian novel, which has been receiving a lot of hype
and is making some go crazy because they want to read it so bad. May 2012 will be here soon, don't worry.
I am also working on my first contemporary novel called "The Summer I nearly farted in Jake Dawson's face"
and I can't wait for both to come out.

6) Do you prefer writing middle grade novels, or official YA novels?

A: I prefer Middle-Grade novels. I have always written middle grade stories and only recently in 2009 I began my journey into YA fiction.
I love writing both, but MG will always be my first love. In MG novels the author doesn't really have to worry about a love interest or teen angst.
In MG novels, it's all about the adventure and friendship and sex, drugs and relationships are non-existent and that's why I love MG more than YA.
I will always write both, I like being able to try something new all the time.

7) How did you come up with the covers to all of your novels?

A: Google. Seriously, the internet has helped me with coming up with cover concepts.
With self-publishing you have to do everything yourself but luckily there are many websites that sell
photos you can use for the cover and don't have to do so much hard work. 



8) Is The Immortalists a stand alone novel, or will a sequel follow it?

A: "The Immortalists" is going to be a trilogy. I have the next two planned for a 2012 and 2013 release.
I am very excited for the trilogy to come out and to see if the younger audience will respond and enjoy the
books and Rowan's journey.

9) Which was your favorite novel to write?
"The Immortalists" hands down! it was a breath of fresh air and a fantastic joy to write.


10) Do you get inspiration from any other authors?

A: My favorite authors are J.K. Rowling, John Bellairs, Tony Deterlizzi, Holly Black, & Michelle Harrison.
They each have inspired me a lot and without them being who they are, I'd be in a very different place right now.
If you have not read any books by any of these awesome authors, you should very soon.

11) When is the release date for The Immortalists?

A: This is the first time I am announcing the release date, your blog is lucky Brad!
drum roll please... louder...... LOUDER.... December 13th 2011!
hope you all enjoy the book when it comes out and thanks Brad for this great interview
and I wish you luck on your writing.

- R.D. 



Thanks so much to Richard Denney for his answers!


Click here to go to his author's Goodreads page
Click here to visit his blog
Click here to visit his Twitter 
Click here to go to his Youtube channel. Subscribe to him because he makes awesome videos and book hauls!


Don't forgot to order his books off of Amazon in paperback and for your Kindle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad