Saturday, February 18, 2012

Book Review: Dead to You by Lisa McMann

DEAD TO YOU:
Author: Lisa McMann
Published: February 7, 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 243 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Fun Fact: This is Lisa McMann's sixth novel

Ethan was abducted from his front yard when he was just seven years old. Now, at sixteen, he has returned to his family. It's a miracle... at first. Then the tensions start to build. His reintroduction to his old life isn't going smoothly, and his family is tearing apart all over again. If only Ethan could remember something, anything, about his life before, he'd be able to put the pieces back together. But there's something that's keeping his memory blocked. Something unspeakable...





In Dead to You, Lisa McMann presents us with a story with well-thought out characters, a dark and, in a way, frightening novel, and a writing style that hooks the reader into the story.

First, the characters. Ethan was... different for me. Yes, he was abducted when he was little, but his voice at sometimes was just so flat and bland, while other times, he would be full of rage or be sparky. Ethan's mom was my favorite. I believe that everybody needs their own person cheerleader, and the mom in this story is one of the best I've read about. Anything Ethan did, she supported him just like a good mother should. And Gracie was so cool! Even though she's little, I loved reading about her. And Blake is just a plain out jerk and some points in this book.

Next, we have Lisa McMann's captivating writing style. Once I started reading this book, I honestly couldn't stop. The way that she described everything in the story was thought out and overall, it was just such an interesting writing style!

Then, we have the entire story itself. I've never read a story about child abduction, and after I read it, I know now that I would be absolutely terrifying to be taken away from your family. And the passage on the back of the book just makes this story all the more interesting! Lisa McMann has crafted together an excellent novel.

Finally, we have the ending. What was that, Lisa McMann?! No spoilers here, but she leaves the ending in a way that there could be a second book, but then due to the storyline and everything that happens in the book, there can't be a sequel. Why must you do this to us, Lisa McMann?!


Overall, Dead to You was a great read that was fast-paced, intriguing, and captivating.


My Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad