Saturday, December 29, 2012

Brad About Books: The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington

THE DEAD AND BURIED
Expected Publication Date: January 1, 2013
Publisher: Scholastic
Format: ARC
Page Count: 304 pages
Source: Publisher

A haunted house, a buried mystery, and a very angry ghost make this one unforgettable thriller.

Jade loves the house she's just moved into with her family. She doesn't even mind being the new girl at the high school: It's a fresh start, and there's that one guy with the dreamy blue eyes. . . . But then things begin happening. Strange, otherworldly things. Jade's little brother claims to see a glimmering girl in his room. Jade's jewelry gets moved around, as if by an invisible hand. Kids at school whisper behind her back like they know something she doesn't.

Soon, Jade must face an impossible fact: that her perfect house is haunted. Haunted by a ghost who's seeking not just vengeance, but the truth. The ghost of a girl who ruled Jade's school — until her untimely death last year. It's up to Jade to put the pieces together before her own life is at stake. As Jade investigates the mystery, she discovers that her new friends in town have more than a few deep, dark secrets. But is one of them a murderer?



I read Kim Harrington's newest novel in one sitting! Entirely captivating and totally eerie, THE DEAD AND BURIED is a whirlwind of a novel that will keep readers up late at night hiding underneath their covers.

Right from the first page, I was hooked on this novel. I had to know what in the world was going on, and once you find out exactly what was going on (no spoilers), it will blow your mind! Kim Harrington did a fantastic job at capturing the scary parts of the book, as well as the creepy and morbid feeling of this excellent murder mystery novel. 

The main character Jade was the type of character I love - especially in murder mysteries. She was definitely strong, and not the naive girl we always see in movies that are "I have no idea what is going on, but I think I know everything (even though I have no idea what I'm up against) and I can beat this thing by myself." I really admired her and her courage that shined through these pages.

And the pacing of this book - wow! Like I said, right from the beginning, the action begins at school and continues to travel along until the end of the book. That's why I stayed up until 3 A.M. reading this book (which is actually really bad, because this book was super frightening and morbid!). I did guess the killer correctly, but still, this novel was great.

And that ending! Shocking and very surprising! I loved every second of this novel. Big thanks to Scholastic for sending this to me for review; it was incredible!

Overall, THE DEAD AND BURIED needs to be on your 2013 radar, because trust me, you don't want to miss this book! Sure to be one of the hottest books of its genre.

My Rating



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad