Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Brad About Books: The Archived by Victoria Schwab

Read from October 28 to October 30, 2012
THE ARCHIVED
Expected Publication Date: January 22, 2013
Publisher: Hyperion
Format: ARC
Page Count: 336 pages
Source: Given a Copy
Series: Archived, #1

Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was, a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often-violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper isn't just dangerous-it's a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da's death was hard enough, but now her little brother is gone too. Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall.



THE ARCHIVED is a cinematic and brilliant novel that takes readers on a journey to the one of the most unique worlds in YA literature. Victoria Schwab has masterfully created a beautiful novel with twists and turns that will leave readers breathless all the way to the epic and shocking ending.

Can I just say that the whole world of the Archive was simply great? Schwab did a great job at weaving together this wonderful world -- in fact, The Archive is one of my favorite YA worlds ever. It's one world that I would love to visit and see everything about it; that is if the Librarians would let me in. It's so eccentric and fascinating. I couldn't get enough of it.

Mackenzie was just a well-rounded, wholesome, and great character. I immediately connected with her and was super happy to join her on her crazy journey. Mackenzie is one of those main protagonists that is so easy to love; she's quirky, mysterious, and has a heavy responsibility on her hands that she tries her best at. That's what made me fall hard for Mackenzie.

And also, the Librarians? Super creepy. Like, you don't even understand. But THE ARCHIVED has something that is rare to find on the shelves of YA fiction nowadays: you will never find another book like this. Never. This novel is so original and unique, it blew my mind. The world-building was fantastic, the writing was beautiful, and the entire novel itself is one of my favorite reads.

The ending? What was that?! I'm just dying now for the sequel, because trust me when I say, THE ARCHIVED has one of the most brutal yet brilliant endings. 

Overall, THE ARCHIVED is a special kind of book. I adored every second that I was reading it, and I fell in love with the world itself. I am so stoked for book two!

M Y    R A T I N G:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad