Monday, March 11, 2013

Brad About Books: My Very UnFairy Tale Life by Anna Staniszewski

Read on March 7, 2013
MY VERY UNFAIRY TALE LIFE
Published: November 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 192 pages
Source: Publisher
Series: Fairy Tale Life, #1

You know all those stories that claim fairies cry sparkle tears and elves travel by rainbow? They're lies. All lies. 
I've spent my life as an official adventurer. I travel across enchanted kingdoms saving magical creatures and fighting horrible beasts that most of you think are only myths and legends. I've never had a social life. My friends have all forgotten me. And let's not even talk about trying to do my homework. So -- I'm done!! I'm tired and I want to go back to being a normal girl. But then along comes "Prince Charming" asking for help, and, well, what's a tired girl like me supposed to do? 



My Very UnFairy Tale Life is definitely a fun and light read, but unfortunately, was a bit too juvenile for my tastes. But still, this definitely put some fun into my reading life!

Jenny was such a great protagonist! I loved getting to go on her adventures with her, and the author definitely did a great job at making the adventures epic and interesting for the MG crowd. I'm a big fairy tale fan, so getting to see some fairy tales interwoven throughout the story really appealed to me. Plus, there's a unicorn at the beginning of the book. What's not to love?

But my only complaint is that I didn't connect with the book. I noticed that if an adventure wasn't occurring, I would doze off from the story and get distracted. Not always, but sometimes. I'm not sure why though. Maybe it was too juvenile for me? Maybe I found some things a bit too girly? I'm not sure. 

That still doesn't take away from the fact that you can't read this book and not think that it was awesome. Again, the adventures were excellently crafted and masterfully plotted. Going back, I see lots of foreshadowing that I didn't catch before, and I adore that. Props to the author for doing that!

Overall, My Very UnFairy Tale Life was great; I had just had problems with a few parts in the book. If you're looking for something fun and adventurous, you must pick up this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad