Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Brad About Books: The Innocents by Lili Peloquin

Read from June 22 to 23, 2013
THE INNOCENTS
Published: October 16, 2012
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin)
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 259 pages
Source: Purchased
Series: Innocents, #1

She hated her sister.
She loved her sister.

Nothing ever came between sisters Alice and Charlie.
Friends didn't.
Boys couldn't.
Their family falling apart never would.
Until they got to Serenity Point.

In a town built on secrets and lies, it's going to be hard to stay innocent.
They're sucked into a strange and seductive world—a world they can't help but hate, and can't help but love. A world that threatens to tear them apart, just when they need each other the most. 


The Innocents is the first in a new series of young adult novels that weave a saga of nail-biting drama, breathless romance, and Gothic mystery.



The Innocents is an electric and fun summer read that will have readers falling in love with Alice and Charlie and hanging off the edge of their seat with jaws open in suspense. Nailed it!

The suspense is what makes The Innocents killer. Serenity Point is such a creepy and mysterious town, and I could easily see this being adapted to a TV show. If you're fan of Pretty Little Liars, definitely give The Innocents a go. It's so much fun! Serenity Point harbors many, many dark secrets, and I can't wait to see what Peloquin throws at us next in the sequel, This Side of Jealousy. This is a definite contemporary standout!

The sisters in The Innocents is what makes this novel whole. Charlie (brunette girl on cover) was easily my favorite. I loved her wild, edgy side with partying and possibly-hating-her-sister - she made Serenity Point so much more scandalous! But Alice was just as amazing. She's the quiet, mellow girl who always stays in the shadows, watching everyone with a hawk's eye from afar. I even thought I could see some dark sides of Alice poking out of her towards the end of the book - I hope we get to see Alice let loose in book two!

The Innocents is the perfect summer read. I can easily see myself reading this book by the pool on a summer day - it gives off the vibes and energy of summer so clear and well. And even though I've been getting into more contemporaries lately, I don't always want a straight forward contemp. Thankfully, The Innocents has the perfect balance summer romance and suspenseful mystery. Gosh, this book was absolutely fantastic!

Overall, The Innocents is a must read, especially for this summer. Fun, edgy, and absolutely captivating, The Innocents is one not to miss!

M Y    R A T I N G



1 comment:

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad