Thursday, July 11, 2013

Brad About Books: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

Read on July 3, 2013
BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA
Expected Publication Date: August 15, 2013
Publisher: Dial (Penguin)
Format: ARC
Page Count: 368 pages
Source: ALA
Series: Between, #1

You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…

Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town…until River West comes along. River rents the guesthouse behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more? Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery...who makes you want to kiss back. Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.

Blending faded decadence and the thrilling dread of gothic horror, April Genevieve Tucholke weaves a dreamy, twisting contemporary romance, as gorgeously told as it is terrifying—a debut to watch.



Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is a fantastic debut that had me completely enthralled and left me checking over my shoulder. A new favorite book, for sure!

I'm honestly speechless of how phenomenal this book was. The atmosphere is so eerie and chilling, and the prose is absolutely gorgeous. Tucholke's debut starts with a bang and never quits - the first chapter hooks you in, and it is utterly impossible to put this book down. I loved how dark and mysterious the seaside town is, especially when River West enters the town. World-building is one of my favorite parts about books, and Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea has definitely one of my favorite worlds ever. April Genevieve Tucholke's debut was magnificent!

The characters... oh my gosh, the characters! I loved every single one of them! Violet was awesome - she's not a damsel in distress. She can stick up for herself and is strong, but she's not the over-strong type of girl to the point where it becomes annoying. Tucholke evenly balanced out her traits so perfectly; she's become one of my new favorite protagonists! I just loved being inside her head! And River (which, is a pretty awesome name)... he's dark, mysterious, and haunting. But when he and Violet are together, they become unstoppable. I had no idea what to expect from Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, but every single bit of this book was phenomenal. I can't get over how awesome this book was!

And the entire concept is so unique! This book brings so many elements to life: romance, paranormal, ghosts, friendship, and so many more. I highly, highly, highly recommend this book to anyone who's looking for a breath of fresh air in YA - you will never find a book like this, and trust me, you'll never want this book to end! I want the sequel so bad!

Overall, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is easily one of my new favorite books of all-time. Fantastic in every way possible, this debut is one of a kind and absolutely marvelous! 

M Y     R A T I N G


1 comment:

  1. I love the cover for this book! I love eerie atmospheres and great characters so I think I will need to pick this up :)
    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad