Saturday, July 20, 2013

Brad About Books: Sweet Shadows by Tera Lynn Childs

Read on July 9, 2013
SWEET SHADOWS
Published: September 4, 2012
Publisher: Katherine Tegen (Harper)
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 328 pages
Source: Purchased
Series: Medusa Girls, #2

This review is entirely spoiler free, even if you haven't read book one, Sweet Venom.

Sweet Shadows is an electric and dazzling sequel that captured me immediately, shook me around, and never let me go. This second novel not only surpassed the ever-awesome first installment, it blew it out of the water.

After reading Sweet Shadows, I can confirm that the Medusa Girls trilogy is one of my favorite series EVER! I'm a huge fan of re-tellings and Greek mythology, so the two of them put together is awesome. Believe me when I say, this series is addictive. They're impossible to put down, and the action scenes are irresistible! And I love that this trilogy has triplets - not twins, but actual triplets. With that being said, there are three POVs in this series, and Childs handles each character so well. They're all different in their own unique way, and they all have qualities that I love about them! Gretchen has to be my favorite - she's the kick-butt-now, take-names-later kind of girl, and she's just so awesome. Plus, who doesn't like a monster huntress? But she's not the only huntress: Grace is the nice one of the girls, but don't get on her bad side. She's also a great huntress. And Greer is naïve going into the "business" (who wouldn't be?), but she definitely redeems herself in Sweet Shadows. I love all of these characters, and this series, so much!

I have to talk about the plot of Sweet Shadows. While Sweet Venom was engaging and awesome, Sweet Shadows knocked it out of the ballpark. I'm a huge fan of Greek re-tellings, and though this isn't a direct re-telling, it's still one of my favorite series. Monsters are leaking into the human world, and it's up to the triplet huntresses to seal them away where they belong. And Sweet Shadows makes these monsters even more terrifying. The stakes are raised higher more than I dared to imagine, and I adored it for that. I like it when an author makes a daring sequel, and Sweet Shadows definitely was. This series is an absolute must-read!

I didn't see that ending coming! As I was flipping these pages, I had NO idea what to expect or have any clue what was going to happen next. And I will admit, some sequels fall to the dreaded Sequel Slump Syndrome, but that totally passed over Sweet Shadows! I have no clue how Tera Lynn Childs did it, but she made this sequel even better than its predecessor! So good!

Needless to say, Sweet Shadows was incredibly epic and utterly jaw-dropping. Tension-filled and fast-paced, readers won't be able to tear their eyes away from this phenomenal second installment!

M Y    R A T I N G


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad