Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Brad About Books: Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender

Read on July 3, 2013
MARIE ANTOINETTE, SERIAL KILLER
Expected Publication Date: September 24, 2013
Publisher: Scholastic
Format: ARC
Page Count: 304 pages
Source: ALA

Let them eat cake... and die. 

Colette Iselin is excited to go to Paris on a class trip. She’ll get to soak up the beauty and culture, and maybe even learn something about her family’s French roots.

But a series of gruesome murders are taking place across the city, putting everyone on edge. And as she tours museums and palaces, Colette keeps seeing a strange vision: a pale woman in a ball gown and powdered wig, who looks suspiciously like Marie Antoinette.

Colette knows her popular, status-obsessed friends won’t believe her, so she seeks out the help of a charming French boy. Together, they uncover a shocking secret involving a dark, hidden history. When Colette realizes she herself may hold the key to the mystery, her own life is suddenly in danger . . .

Acclaimed author Katie Alender brings heart-stopping suspense to this story of revenge, betrayal, intrigue — and one killer queen.


Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer was, unfortunately, a little disappointing for me! I really wanted to enjoy this book, and while I did at some parts, others fell flat for me.

I'll start with what I did enjoy about this book: the aspect of Paris was fantastic! I felt like I was roaming the streets of the City of Lights with Colette and a definitely-freaky-scary murderer, and I could really tell that Alender put a lot of research into this book. And I really appreciated that! The world is great, and I especially loved the twist on Marie Antoinette, and Paris in general! Colette was a great character for me... for the most part. Sometimes, she seemed naïve and didn't understand the situation wholly, but still went into it headstrong (which can be a good quality), and other times, she'd be a kick-butt, take-no-crap-from-anybody character that I fell in love. I flip-flopped with how I felt about her character.

Now, with what I didn't particularly enjoy... some of the scenes felt a little silly. The plot sounded awesome! And Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer was awesome at times, for sure. But others seemed a little farfetched and too out there for my likings. And I noticed that some of the deaths repeated! I was hoping for a little more substance from this book, and I, unfortunately, didn't get that.

But that's not to say that this isn't a good book, because it was! I think I set my expectations a tad high for this one, and not all of them were met. But if you're looking for a fun, eerie read, Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer is the perfect choice!

Overall, Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer is a good read that had me on the edge of my seat at times, and drifting off from the book at others.

M Y   R A T I N G


3 comments:

  1. I AM looking for a fun read! I will set my expectations low and hopefully enjoy Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer!

    Thanks for the honest review, Brad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! I really hope you enjoy it! :)

      -Brad

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your review. It sounds exactly as I thought it would. I will keep this in mind as a fun read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I read every comment and truly appreciate them. I would love to hear your thoughts! If you leave a comment, I'll be sure to leave a comment back on your blog ASAP! -Brad